Thursday, July 18, 2024
Emirates SkyCargo keeps its cool on World Mango Day

Emirates SkyCargo keeps its cool on World Mango Day

With the global demand for fresh mangoes remaining robust during 2022, Emirates SkyCargo worked on July 22 to act as a vital link between the farming community and customers looking for delicious, fresh mangoes this season.

Compared to the previous year, Emirates SkyCargo flew 30% more mangoes during the 2021 season, with the airline expecting similar volumes again by the end of this year’s mango season.

The lion’s share of mangoes flown by Emirates SkyCargo originate in South East Asia, supplemented by South American mangoes filling the cargo hold of Emirates’ passenger planes and freighters from Mexico, Columbia and Brazil, the majority of which are destined for the UK, Spanish and UAE markets. The airline also helped Australian producers export over 100 tonnes of mangoes this year.

Taking Pakistan as an example, in many cases it takes only 48 hours from when the mangoes are picked on the farm to the moment the fresh fruit boards the departing aircraft. Add another 14 to 18 hours in transit and they will have reached the supermarket shelves at their final destination, as fresh as they left the farm. As one of the leading global air freight carriers in the industry, Emirates SkyCargo flew over 6,500 tonnes from Pakistan via Dubai to Europe and North America.

Nearly 80% of the tasty cargo leaves Jinnah International Airport in Karachi and the remaining 20% departs from Lahore. The cargo is loaded into the belly-hold of Boeing 777s, which fly 31 flights a week between Dubai and the two cities.

Transiting through the Emirates SkyCentral facilities at Dubai International Airport, the delicious fruit is always stored in state-of-the-art Cool Dollies during ground transportation, before being sent to their final destinations.

The UK received the largest percentage of imports via Emirates’ hub in Dubai, with over 3,600 tonnes of fresh mangoes. Germany’s appetite for the sweet fruit was also healthy, receiving nearly 700 tonnes, followed closely by the UAE with almost 500 tonnes having been imported through Emirates SkyCargo over the past year.

The precious cargo was also sent directly to Spain from Mexico on board Emirates dedicated Boeing 777 Freighters.

Dennis Lister, VP Cargo commercial development, Emirates SkyCargo said: “The success of our three-tiered Emirates Fresh product is clearly demonstrated by our continually growing volumes, as well as by our customers’ confidence in repeatedly choosing us to keep their fruits healthy, their meats fresh and their flowers blooming as they travel the world with us. With our class leading integrated cool chain processes, expert personnel and temperature-controlled storage, customers all over the world are guaranteed freshness that they can touch, taste and feel.”

Emirates Fresh is Emirates SkyCargo’s responsive cool chain solution for everyday perishables unaffected by slight temperature variations. It is the ideal combination of cost effectiveness and core protection that ensures freshness is not compromised during transportation. With optional additional protection from items like White Covers and Thermal Blankets, produce can remain cool throughout the shipment journey.

Picture of James Graham

James Graham

James Graham is an award-winning transport media journalist with a long background in the commercial freight sector, including commercial aviation and the aviation supply chain. He was the initial Air Cargo Week journalist and retuned later for a stint as editor. He continues his association as editor of the monthly supplements. He has reported for the newspaper from global locations as well as the UK.

Newsletter

Stay informed. Stay ahead. To get the latest air cargo news and industry trends delivered directly to your inbox, sign up now!

related articles

ANTONOV Airlines Delivered Equipment from Italy and Brazil for Wood Products Factory in Chile

China Cargo Airlines launches Shanghai-Budapest flights

Menzies and KLM renew long-running partnership at AMS