Friday, May 24, 2024
Air Traffic in Latin America and the Caribbean grows 7.6%

Air Traffic in Latin America and the Caribbean grows 7.6%

2024 started with good wings. Passenger traffic in Latin America and the Caribbean grew 7.6% in January of this year, an increase that translates into almost 3 million additional passengers compared to January 2023. This figure surpassed not only the passenger volume of January 2023, but also the peak recorded in July last year.

In January, 41.7 million passengers were transported to, from and to the region, according to the Passenger Traffic Report, prepared by the Latin American and Caribbean Air Transport Association (ALTA).

“This month’s report reflects a spectacular start to the year. The increase in flight frequencies and the capacity offered in both the domestic and international markets underline the potential for continued growth of our countries in terms of an essential service. These data indicate that 2024 is shaping up to be a promising year for the region,” said José Ricardo Botelho, executive director and CEO of ALTA.

Seat supply also saw growth, reaching 51.2 million available seats, up 5% compared to 2023. Growth in the international market stands out, with an increase of 15.7%, while the domestic market saw a reduction of 3.5%.

“January’s positive passenger traffic figures are not only an indicator of a booming sector, but also a wake-up call on the importance of fostering the development of aviation in our region. These data reflect an encouraging picture, however, in order to fully capitalize on this positive momentum, it is critical to establish an enabling environment that provides the legal certainty, predictability and competitiveness necessary for the continued growth of aviation. These figures are a reminder that aviation is not only a means of transportation, but also a vital industry that requires attention and support to thrive and fully contribute to the progress of our region,” recalls Botelho.

READ: Vueling among the top 10 fastest-growing airline brands

Domestic Market

Venezuela stood out as one of the countries with the highest growth in the domestic market. With a movement of 199,291 passengers, it reached an increase of 36% compared to 2023. For its part, Chile experienced a significant increase of 21% in domestic traffic, totaling 1.7 million passengers.

Brazil recorded a movement of 8.1 million passengers, reaching 98% of the traffic volume observed in the same period of 2023. Colombia’s domestic market, on the other hand, grew 2% compared to 2023, transporting a total of 2.8 million passengers, a slight slowdown compared to December, when a growth of 4% was recorded.

Mexico experienced a 3% decrease in the total number of passengers carried, reaching 4.8 million. This figure signals a continuation in the slowdown trend, following a 1% reduction in the domestic market observed in December.

“Since June 2023, the Mexican domestic market has faced challenges due to the inspections required for GTF engines, which has resulted in the temporary grounding of some aircraft while overhauls are conducted. Additionally, following Mexico’s recent return to Category 1 status by the FAA, local airlines have been able to increase the capacity offered to the United States, reflecting an effort to expand their presence and services in this important market,” the report explains.

READ: Modern Logistics introduces its second 737-800 Boeing Converted Freighter

International market

The increase in international traffic in the region was also notable, with an increase of 14%, representing 20.3 million passengers. Venezuela once again stood out in this area with an increase of 58%, with Caracas-Madrid (+33%) being the route with the highest growth. Colombia also demonstrated significant growth carrying 1.9 million international passengers, representing a 30% increase compared to January 2023, and an additional 457,939 passengers. Brazil also saw a 26% increase in international passengers, reaching 2.3 million.

Picture of Edward Hardy

Edward Hardy

Having become a journalist after university, Edward Hardy has been a reporter and editor at some of the world's leading publications and news sites. In 2022, he became Air Cargo Week's Editor. Got news to share? Contact me on Edward.Hardy@AirCargoWeek.com

Newsletter

Stay informed. Stay ahead. To get the latest air cargo news and industry trends delivered directly to your inbox, sign up now!

related articles

Avianor and Air Canada officially sign a long-term A220 maintenance agreement

Nippon Cargo Airlines renews freighter deal with Atlas Air

Lufthansa Cargo transported a Valais Blacknose sheep: video